4/24/2021 12:00 PM
Dear I.S. 024 Myra S. Barnes Community:
The health and safety of our students and staff, and everyone in the DOE family across the city, is our top priority. We are committed to ensuring you have the information you need on COVID-19 as we continue to navigate this public health emergency together.
Due to multiple members of our school community testing positive for COVID-19, the NYC Test + Trace Corps and the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene will conduct an investigation to determine the sources of COVID-19 in our school community. Our school will remain open during this investigation. We will notify you of the results of this investigation as soon as it is complete and will implement next steps accordingly.
What happens now?
● All students and staff in the affected room(s) with the individual(s) who tested positive are considered “close contacts,” and have been notified of the need to quarantine for 10 days from their last contact with the person who tested positive. These students and staff will transition to fully remote teaching and learning for this period. All other staff and students may continue to come to the school. Our school will remain open during the investigation.
● Test + Trace and DOHMH will complete their investigation to identify and notify any other close contacts in the building, who will also need to quarantine for 10 days.
● Anyone with a positive COVID-19 test will not return to the school until they are no longer infectious.
● All areas visited by the person with COVID-19 will be deep cleaned, disinfected, and reopened.
● If your child is feeling sick, keep them at home.
How Do We Stay Healthy?
Please remember to follow these important “Core Four” actions to prevent COVID-19 transmission:
1. Stay home if sick (except to get essential medical care, including COVID-19 testing).
2. Practice social distancing: Stay at least 6 feet away from people who are not members of your household.
3. Wear a face covering to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
4. Practice healthy hand hygiene: Wash your hands often or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer; avoid touching your face; and cover your cough or sneeze with your arm, not your hands.
How can I stay updated?
We will continue to closely follow directions from public health experts, and proactively update you on any measures we are taking. To ensure we can reach you via text and email, please create a New York City Schools Account (NYCSA) as soon as possible by visiting schools.nyc.gov/nycsa.
To help New Yorkers quarantine, the NYC Test + Trace Corps partners with community-based organizations to connect individuals to resources like food, medicine, and health care. To connect with resources, you can call 1-212-COVID19 (212-268-4319). For additional information on COVID-19, visit schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus or call 311.