11/30/2020 4:15 PM
Dear I.S. 24 - STATEN ISLAND at 750 DURANT AVENUE Families:
The health and safety of our students and staff, and everyone in the DOE family across the city is our top priority. As you know, given recent increases in transmission we have reached a point in our City’s infection rate that requires all students to transition to remote learning. Beginning Thursday, November 19, all schools are closed, and all learning will proceed remotely for all students until further notice. Please note that this is a temporary closure, and school buildings will reopen as soon as it is safe to do so.
The DOE Situation Room will continue to monitor COVID-19 exposure in our school building through at least the next ten days to reduce transmission for individuals who participated in blended learning over the last few weeks. Please contact the school if you have questions about remote learning.
Here is what will happen next:
· Per the guidance of the NYC Test + Trace Corps and the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the school building will remain closed; blended instruction can resume on 12/14/2020, if the school buildings are safe to reopen.
· Anyone with a positive COVID-19 test will not return to the school until they are no longer infectious.
· Close contacts of the person who tested positive have been notified and will continue their 14-day quarantine period. If additional close contacts are identified, they will also be instructed to quarantine for 14 days.
It’s up to all of us to help keep our school community safe and healthy. While we swiftly address this situation, please remember to follow these important “Core Four” actions to prevent COVID-19 transmission:
· Stay home if sick: Monitor your and your child’s health and stay home if you are sick or keep them home if they are sick, except for getting essential medical care (including COVID-19 testing) and other essential needs.
· Physical distancing: Stay at least 6 feet away from people who are not members of your household.
· Wear a face covering: Protect those around you. Wearing a face covering helps reduce the spread of COVID-19, especially if you are sick and don’t have symptoms. For more information about face coverings, visit nyc.gov/health/coronavirus and look for "FAQ About Face Coverings."
· Practice healthy hand hygiene: Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available; clean frequently touched
surfaces regularly; avoid touching your face with unwashed hands; and cover your cough or sneeze with your arm, not your hands.
We will continue to closely follow directions from public health experts and proactively update you on any measures we are taking.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions. For additional information on COVID-19, visit schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus or call 311. To ensure we can rapidly reach you via text and email, please create a New York City Schools Account as soon as possible by visiting schools.nyc.gov/nycsa.
Thank you for your cooperation. Health and safety will always come first in New York City public schools, no matter what.
The Pride of Great Kills!