Dear I.S. 24 Families:
How quickly we have arrived to this time of year! In what seems like a situation that was never ending we turn to what we expect to be some normalcy once again in a few months. I would like to turn and wish our Eighth Grade families congratulations on your child(rens) upcoming Graduation.
With the last day of school quickly approaching I will share information of importance to keep in mind.
June 3 and 8 - No School for Students
June 7, 9, 10, 11 - Grade 8 Science Exam (only for those who opted-in)
June 17 - Graduation (further details will be shared with families soon)
June 22 - Living Environment Regents 8:30AM (only for those who opted-in)
June 23 - Algebra Regents 8:30AM (only for those who opted-in)
June 25 - Last Day of School
Full day of school (1:40PM dismissal)
Report Cards Distributed
This school year we observed the resiliency, strength, and determination of our students, faculty and staff. No one had it easy and everyone was asked to do their best and they would make it. I’m so very fortunate for the support of the team here at I.S. 24 as well as our families. Give yourselves credit as this was not easy.
This school year has not been like others, sadly, but we would still like to highlight some accomplishment which include:
- The completed renovation of our Auditorium and other construction projects.
- Additional air conditioners added to classroom by the Department of Education.
- Continued collaboration with our After-School partner U.A.U.
- A partnership with Staten Island City Councilman Joseph Borelli in his support to renovate a classroom for our Media Studies class.
- Completion of renovations to school restrooms.
In the 2021-22 school year we look forward to:
- Continued collaboration with our PTA Executive Board on schoolwide events.
- Hearing about our graduates who have moved to High School.
- Welcoming 1400 students back to in-person learning.
- A $40,000 technology grant to upgrade computer equipment received from the State
Schools Bond Act.
- The renovation of an additional two Science classrooms and an upgrade to our Gymnasium
to host events in the future.
- Continuing our work with students around community awareness, academic and personal
behaviors for success and the choices they will make in preparation for High School.
I have never been so encouraged as to what the future holds as our students continue to amaze, surprise and encourage us. This school year with all its hardship and challenges has placed more faith in me about our students than ever before.
Thank you for working with us in the preparation of your children for future success. We value and appreciate your support as a partner in this journey.
In planning for the future please be sure to visit http://schools.nyc.gov to review the 2021-22 school calendar as you make any future plans with school in mind. Always check www.barnes24.org for news and announcements as well.
I wish all our families a healthy and safe summer and look forward to a productive start when students return on Monday, September 13, 2021.